Stegano is a pure Python steganography module.
Steganography is the art and science of writing hidden messages in such a way that no one, apart from the sender and intended recipient, suspects the existence of the message, a form of security through obscurity. Consequently, functions provided by Stegano only hide messages, without encryption. Steganography is often used with cryptography.
Stegano implements these methods of hiding:
- using the red portion of a pixel to hide ASCII messages;
- using the Least Significant Bit (LSB) technique;
- using the LSB technique with sets based on generators (Sieve for Eratosthenes, Fermat, Mersenne numbers, etc.);
- using the description field of the image (JPEG and TIFF).
Moreover some methods of steganalysis are provided:
- steganalysis of LSB encoding in color images;
- statistical steganalysis.
You can also use Stegano through a Web service. Not all functionalities of Stegano are covered.
You can have a look at the unit tests.